Adopting a pet is a SERIOUS COMMITMENT. We strongly encourage anyone thinking about adding a fuzzy member to their family to do their research and be ready for this commitment. Take a moment to read through this short but helpful Are You Ready to Adopt? page. We will also be happy to work with you to figure out what kind of pet is best for you. If you want to have a pet in your home but aren’t sure you can make the 10-15 year commitment, consider fostering pets.
Promises Animal Rescue will work directly with you, the prospective adopter, providing individualized attention and support in order to help you find the perfect pet for your family. We also suggest you take the time to read through the many resource documents on our website to prepare yourself for the many things that adoption will bring!
We provide as much information on each animal’s history, disposition and health as we can gather. We strongly believe that honesty is the best policy. We want each of our animals to find the RIGHT home, not just ANY home. Likewise, we want you to find the pet who best matches your lifestyle and interests.
Since we require a home visit as part of the adoption process, we are limited in adoption areas because we are limited by where our volunteers can travel. So our adoption areas are Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia and parts of West Virginia.
Pet Adoption Application, Interview, Home Visit
You will first be required to complete our Adoption Application either on-line or receive one from any adoption event. Once the application is received, the application will be reviewed by a volunteer. A volunteer with Promises Animal Rescue will contact you either by phone or email for interview to answer any questions that you may have about the process. The application requires three (3) personal reference other than a relative that has been to your home or knows you and your family well. If you have a pet(s) currently or in the past a veterinarian reference is required to verify that the pets are current on vaccinations, are in good health and are spayed/neutered. To help the process move forward we ask that you contact your references to inform them that you had listed them as a reference. If you are renting the property that is listed on the application, we require proof that you are allowed to have a pet as well as any breed or size restrictions that may exist. The final step is a home visit, one of our volunteer(s) will schedule to visit your home with all family members present. The volunteer will interview all members of the household answer any questions that you may have. The volunteer(s) will also want to walk all areas of the house, back yard, walking trails, play areas that your pet would be subject to. The volunteer is there to verify your home is a safe place for one of our dogs. Upon approval of application and home visit the rescue will work with the applicant and family to find the right match for the family and their lifestyle.
If you want to be considered for adopting one of our dogs, please complete our Adoption Application.
In our Adoption Contract, we require that every dog be spayed/neutered (if not prior to adoption) by a specific date noted on contract. If the dog is under 6 months of age the
spay / neutering is the responsibility of the applicant. A spay / neuter agreement will accompany the contract for return to the rescue upon completion of the spay / neutering,
signed by a vet. The adoption contract that you sign is a legal binding agreement that this rescue takes very seriously. Below is a sample of the contract.
- Hereinafter referred to as the dog, is being transferred to the adopting owner with the understanding that the adopter is taking possession of the dog to treat
and to be responsible for it as their own dog. ______ /______ initial
- The dog will be treated as a family member with loving care and affection. I/we will do my best to ensure the dog’s safety and well-being. ______/_____ initial
- I/we will feed the dog at least twice a day and will provide a fresh supply of water at all times. _____/ _____ initial
- The dog will live inside my home and will not be isolated from the family. I/we will walk my dog on a leash or exercise my dog in a fenced yard, which must be
provided unless waived by PAR. I will never let my dog run loose or roam, keep my dog chained or tied up, keep it continuously in a yard, garage, patio, balcony,
or pen, or leave my dog outdoors, even in a fenced yard when no one is at home. _______/______ initial
- I/we will not have the dog attack-trained nor will I/we use it for any purpose other than companionship. I/we will never allow any physical, mental, or emotional
abuse of the dog. ______/______ initial
- I/we will take the dog to a licensed veterinarian when shots are due _____________ but in no event later than one year from the last vet visit. I will provide all
required and/or needed veterinary care, including: rabies shots as required every one or three years; yearly booster shots for DHLPPC; yearly fecal checks for internal
parasites (worms); and prompt treatment by a licensed veterinarian for any illness or injury. ________/_______ initial
- The dog will be given heartworm preventative tablets every month, all year long. I/we will have a heartworm test given every year. If there is any break in
dispensing heartworm tablets, I/we must retest for heartworm and restart tablets immediately. ________/________initial
- The following statement is required by Virginia law: STERILIZATION OF ANY ADOPTED ANIMAL IS REQUIRED BY TITLE 3.1, CHAPTER 27.4, ARTICLE 6.1 OF THE CODE
OF VIRGINIA. THE ADOPTER AGREES TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF 3.1-796.126:1-7, WHICH PERTAIN TO THE TIMELY STERILIZATION
OF THE ADOPTED PET. A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS ARTICLE IS SUBJECT TO CIVIL PENALTY. THE NEW OWNER MAY BE COMPELLED TO COMPLY WITH THE PROVISIONS
OF THIS ARTICLE. ________/______initial
- If not already done, I/we will have the dog spayed/neutered by (date)________________ and will immediately forward proof to the PAR office. Failure to
comply with this requirement will result in the immediate return of the dog to PAR. ***SEE ATTACHED Spay/neuter notice*** _______/________initial
- I/we affirm that no member of my household has been convicted of an animal welfare law violation such as neglect, cruelty, abandonment etc. ______/_______initial
- I/we will ensure proper licensing of the dog and will attach the appropriate license tags, rabies tag, and personal identification tag to a non-choke collar to
be worn at all times. I will ensure compliance with all applicable local and state statutes. _______/________initial
- I will not use a choke-type collar/and or shock collar at any time, except for training under the guidance of a qualified dog trainer. _______/______ initial
- I am adopting the dog for myself and I/we agree to not give away, sell, or trade my dog, even as a gift to a friend or family member. I/we will neither take the
dog to a shelter nor abandon the dog. I/we understand that I/we must notify PAR, without delay, if I/we can no longer care for or keep my dog and agree to give
PAR reasonable time to rehome my dog or place my dog in an approved foster home, if available. I/we must notify PAR of any behavioral problems that have
occurred at any time before I/we return my dog and I/we agree to pay for a professional trainer’s evaluation in case of biting or aggression. ______/_______ initial
- I/we agree to accept responsibility and ownership of the dog at my own risk and I/we release PAR and its agents from any and all liability arising out of
possession and ownership of my dog. I/we agree that I/we am assuming total financial responsibility for my pet as of the date of this contract. PAR and its
agents will not be held responsible for any damages or expenses (veterinary or other) incurred during my ownership of the dog._____/_____initial
- I/we agree to take the dog to obedience training classes as a puppy, and/or as an adult. _______/_______initial
- In the event the dog becomes lost or dies, I/we will immediately notify PAR. I/we will also immediately notify PAR of any change of contact
information (address, phone number, or email address). _______/______initial
- This dog’s known background and medical history have been discussed with me. I/we understand that PAR has made no representation concerning the
health, condition, training, behavior, or temperament of the dog._______/_______initial
- I/we agree to permit PAR to make inquiry about and enforce any of the above conditions and requirements at any time after adoption. This can
include visits to my home and contact with my veterinarian. I UNDERSTAND THAT FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE PROVISIONS WILL RESULT IN
FORFEITURE OF THE DOG TO PAR. _______/_______initial
The adoption fee for Promises Animal Rescue, Inc is $275. This is set to allow us to cover some of our expenses as well as to help other animals in
our program that require additional care. Our fees go toward vetting costs, shelter fees, special food if needed and small portion toward office
expense.. It is important to note that while the animal you adopt may not require all of these things, many other animals in our system do. Thus,
any “extra” money from adoption fees goes to help those animals who may require additional care. By adopting from Promises Animal Rescue, you are
not saving just one life, you are helping to save others as well.